History of the A2A Group
A2A, the company emerging from the encounter between the former municipal companies of Milan (AEM and AMSA) and Brescia (ASM), formally got under way on 1 January 2008. The desire to combine their strengths and energies and to create value for stakeholders was immediately reflected in action, in the new name and in the tag-line “energy in common”, designed to evoke the idea of projection into the future and a history of unique and exemplary service.
The decision taken by the Milan Municipal Council to deal with the “electricity question” and to begin producing the new energy on its own, faced with the requests, considered at the time exaggerated, of what was then known as the “Edison Committee”, goes back to 1898, and this laid the foundations for the birth of AEM (Azienda Elettrica Municipale di Milano - the Milan Municipal Electricity Company).
In the immediately following years ASM (Azienda dei Servizi Municipalizzati - the Municipal Services Company) was also brought to life (1908), from a resolution of the Municipality of Brescia, and entrusted with managing the tram service and the ice factory. With the municipalisation of the Milan street cleaning service and the hiring of the around six hundred road sweepers working at the time the same period saw the birth of AMSA (1907), a company which over the coming decades absorbed SPAI (Servizi Pubblici Anomina Italia), which had been established in 1929 and carried out waste collection services for Milan and its cathedral and specialised in the selection of such.
The histories of AEM, AMSA and ASM were interwoven for a century due to the fact that the communities served either overlapped with each other or were neighbours, and it was precisely their respective skills that enabled a single, integrated and harmonic business to be created. To the point that that this year the three countries lying at the origin of A2A are symbolically celebrating 100 years of history and a common culture of getting things done, something to be handed down and enhanced to the benefit of the local territory.
A2A was the first Italian industrial company listed on the stock exchange that introduced a dual management and control governance model and which was therefore the first to face the challenge of carrying this out. The Supervisory Board and the Management Board have jointly traced out their respective areas of responsibility, generating exemplary operational rules, and this has enabled companies with significant personalities to be fully integrated on the basis of a clear business plan and common values.
As the consequence of the acceleration that has taken place, after its first few months of life the Group changed its tag-line to “energy closer to you” as a means of emphasising its closeness to the local territory and the attention it gives to the customer and of communicating the foundations of its tradition and its future aspirations with increased effectiveness.
A2A is a joint stock company (Società per Azioni) having its registered office in Via Lamarmora 230, 25124 Brescia and its headquarters and administrative offices in Corso di Porta Vittoria 4, 20122 Milan.
From AEM and ASM the new utility of the North is born: